Please note that all recipes may contain eggs and/or cheese, as I am a lacto/ovo-vegetarian. Thanks!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Chick'n & Rice Casserole

 
Quorn Chick'n is the most amazing food discovery I have made in a long time. Every chance I get, I find an excuse to cook with Quorn. Some favorite Southern traditional dishes I like to make are fried chick'n, BBQ grilled chick'n and spice rubbed baked chick'n.

Yesterday, I was trying to figure out what on Earth I could make with the random foods in my cabinets. I had rice, Quorn, vegetable broth and some random veggies. After thinking and thinking I had the kind of aha moment that the originator of the casserole must have had. I would make chick'n and rice casserole. So, I picked up a can of Campbell's cream of potato and a pack of Sargento low fat cheddar shreds. This casserole was awesome. Just like real chicken casseroles my aunts make.

To make this dish two-friendly for one meal (no leftovers), half the ingredients and bake in a small pot pie bowl like the one seen here.

CHICK'N & RICE CASSEROLE RECIPE 

1 package (4 pieces) Quorn chick'n
1 tblsp. canola oil
1 1/2 cups rice (white or brown)
1 1/2 cups of vegetable stock
1/2 can of peas (drained)
1/2 can of sliced carrots
1/2 can of corn
1 can of cream of potato
small head of broccoli, chopped into small pieces
1 cup of cheddar shreds

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
  2. Cook the rice as indicated on the bag and substitute in 1 cup of vegetable stock for 1 cup of called for water.
  3. Put canola oil in a frying pan and lightly fry the chick'n until browned and tender.
  4. Cut the cooked chick'n into 1/2" cubes.
  5. Combine the vegetables and the chick'n in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the remaining vegetable stock and cream of potato. Salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Once rice is cooked, fold into the mixture and pour into a glass casserole pan (either 8" x 8" or 9" x 12") and cover with cheese shreds.
  7. Place the casserole in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment