Please note that all recipes may contain eggs and/or cheese, as I am a lacto/ovo-vegetarian. Thanks!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Latkes: Food of the Soul

Latkes are food of the soul. These deletable little patties cover all necessary food groups: potatoes, milk, potatoes, grain, potatoes, oil, potatoes, happiness, oh an did I mention POTATOES! I love a potato any way you fix it - slice it, dice it, cube it, fry it, bake it, saute it...

[Digression on  how to fix potatoes in all these ways] There is this amazing man who sits in Union Square every day selling potato peelers and showing the masses all 5,463 ways to fix a potato, and various other vegetables. His voice saying "potato" was the highlight of my life in 2008. I used to make a point to get off at the Union Sq. stop just to watch him and maybe also to get a little chocolate from Max Brenner (but I digress, again).

Enjoy watching Joe, the potato guy.



For those of you from the South, hooked on Paula Dean like kids are hooked on phonics, a latke is what your grandma calls potato pancakes or tatter cakes.

I have had an obsession with latkes since our trip to New York last Christmas, when my friend Rob showed us the world's best latke joint, Yonah Schimmel. This place has been in business, in the same tiny spot since 1910. They are renowned for knishes, but what is a good Jewish meal without latkes and apple sauce?! Oi!

Inside Yonah Schimmel - 100 years of reconigition
Last night, I decided to be a little adventurous and use up some of the 'tatters' from my 5 gallon bucket. I made latkes and all I have to say is....... dang y'all! Those little cakes of golden brown goodness were like winning the lottery in your mouth.

Don't believe me, try it for yourself:


LATKE RECIPE

Makes 3-4 small patties.

3 med. yellow potatoes (peel)
1 large egg
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup bread crumbs
salt
pepper
1/2 cup canola oil


1. Shred potatoes using largest hole on cheese grater.
2. Boil the shredded potatoes for 10-15 minutes. Strain and place in a bowl.
3. Combine all the ingredients in the bowl and thoroughly mix.
4. Let sit until room temperature.
5. Heat canola oil in a large frying pan on med-high heat. Scoop out latke mixture and fry in the pan until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment